My main research area is hardware algorithms and architectures for network
processing and security. I have been developing algorithms and techniques for
Intrusion detection, network monitoring, spam detection, fast flux networks detection, malware
mitigation and malicious websites detection. This includes: theory of
computation, algorithms & data structures design and analysis, pattern matching
algorithms, filtering and compression. I have used artificial intelligence algorithms
parallel programming, GPGPU to speedup pattern matching algorithms. Finally, I am extending my
research to various fields that benefit from pattern matching such as RNA secondary structure
prediction and cloud computing.
- Cloud computing security
- Pattern matching algorithms for network security
- Hardware accelerated intrusion detection systems and algorithms
- GPUs, computer architecture, parallel programming and parallel algorithms
- Automatic signature generation and worm detection
- Viruses, malware, spyware, adware and fast flux networks detection
- Computer and network forensics
- Arabic optical character recognition
- Bioinformatics and RNA secondary structure prediction
Open Research Projects
- Characterization and Modeling of Fast Flux Networks
- A GPU Based Pattern Matching for Intrusion Detection Using MapReduce Framework and Dynamic Programming
- Analysis of Personalization in Social Networking and Search Engines
- GFlux: A Google-based System for Fast Flux Detection
- justTV: Citizen journalism and student reports
Open Graduation Projects
1. W-Meter Description: The majority of power consumed today is generated by burning fossil fuel which depletes natural resources and contributes to global warming. Measuring the power consumption of your household appliances is the first step in power saving! Even stand-by TV or satellite receiver consumes a lot of power.
This project is aimed at designing and implementing a Wattage meter (W-Meter) to measure household appliances power consumption. The meter would be installed between the power source and the appliance, and transmit data wirelessly to a central application for data collection and reporting.
Students: 3 Students: 3 (NES+CPE+CS)
Description: There are over 5 million mobile services subscribers in Jordan and the majority are using cards to recharge their accounts. There is no efficient way to figure out how much different services cost such as SMS or MMS message. Most users are not notified about new or additional charges such as SMS delivery reports.
This project is aimed and developing a cross platform application that keeps track of charges to your account and generate a detailed monthly bill. This includes but not limited to call duration, SMS/MMS msgs, GPRS and internet.
Students: 1 NES
Description: This is project is part of the smarter campus initiative aimed at reducing emissions
and the efficient use of power, water and other resources. The goal is to use
new technology to create a student and employee ID card that can be used to
mainly control paper consumption in printing and photocopying. Users will be
able to charge their ID card with x amount of money using vending machine like
device. All printers in open labs and future open copying machines will be
equipped with a card reader. The users will place their card in the reader to be
able to print or copy. Printers/copiers will only work if the user has credit on
his card. The SmartID can be generalized to other services requiring payments
such as Library, Cafeteria, Student Housing and the GYM. This project involves
choosing the proper technology, hardware interface, strong programming
background; security coding practices are a must.
Students: 1 NES
4. Paper less
Every day out homes of offices are clogged with tons of junk paper which keeps accumulating.
This application aims to read, organize and present that information in a more flexible and
suitable format. This will reduce clutter and save more tress!
Develop a mobile app to use the smart phone cam to scan paper we accumulate every day: mail,
bills, receipts, contracts, notes, business cards, The scanned images will be converted using OCR into fields
filled into different databases or applications such as: access, excel, outlook or money…
2 Students: 1 CPE + 1 NES
5. V2T (Vtot)
Description: There are over 6 million mobile services subscribers in
Jordan and numbers are expected to keep growing. Older users are not comfortable
using the small mobile phones keypads and even if they have QWERTY they are not
familiar with it. They cannot store new numbers, text (SMS), call customer
service, or use menus! They have to ask for help every time they need charge
their account using prepaid card. This project aims to develop a cross-platform
application that recognizes voice commands (call, text, end…) and converts
speech to text. The main deliverable is to enable older generation to send SMS
Extensions: additional deliverable would be the ability to read text
and tweet through speech.
1 NES Student
6. LightWaves: LIGHTweight Worms And Virus Elimination Software
Description: This project is aimed at the design of light weight virus
protection software that would fit onto a USB boot sector or a mobile device.
The goal is instantaneous and continuous protection against viruses. The system
should be complete offering the following features
1 NES Student
- Fast and On-Write-Scan
- A Size of < 5MB including the rule and signatures database
- Online updating capability
- Simple user interface