The obstetric lab provides a safe training environment for all students in the maternal health practical course. It aims at preparing students to acquire nursing skills before moving real clinical setting. It also helps them to master the skills needed to provide high quality and safe nursing care and to develop their self-confidence.
The lab is located in the second floor at the faculty of nursing building
(N3 – L-2)
the lab is open to all students all days from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- The lab consists of two teaching room with a space that accommodates about 30 students. .
At the maternity lab the student will be able to:
- Understand the features and importance of physical, social, and biological environments in a medical setting for women and babies;
- Understand various basic needs of pregnant women, women in labor, and newborns;
- Be familiar with the operational objectives and application timing of various maternity nursing techniques.
- Understand how to use observation and communication skills to establish therapeutic relationships.
- Independently and properly operate maternity nursing techniques, such as leopold's maneuvers, immediate care of the newborn.
- Understand the importance of correctly performing each women's and babies' nursing techniques.
- The obstetric lab contains a variety of equipment's needed to support students such as:
- Woman dummy
- Newborn dummy
- Abdominal palpation model for leopold's maneuvers
- Female catheterization model
- Female breast exam vest
- Other models