Upon completion of 117 credit hours, the student is required to carry out practical training, normally during summer, for 8 weeks in an industrial setting related to aeronautical engineering. This is normally done after completing the fourth year and prior to taking the capstone and elective courses. The goal of the training is to apply the knowledge acquired in prior coursework to a real-life situation under the supervision of qualified engineers. The summer practical training also helps to improve the ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems, emphasizing quality issues, professional and ethical responsibility, safety and environmental aspects of science and technology, and provide experience in the use of modern engineering tools, techniques and skills.
The practical training is subjected to evaluation by the AE department and by the institution providing the training as follows:
- Placement of students for summer training and guidance offered prior to the training.
- A log book for student activity that is signed by his or her supervisor
- The trainee is required to submit a report by the end of his training.
- A plant trip by an assigned faculty member is used to monitor and improve the assigned daily or weekly activities during summer practice. The assigned faculty member reports on a yearly basis to the department (faculty). This process of monitoring was started in the summer of 2012.
- Feedback by the supervisor (usually the training engineer)
In addition to the summer practical training, periodic educational visits and trips to some local aeronautical plants are conducted by instructors for the sake of illuminating the student's perception and understanding of some aeronautical industry that he or she is exposed to during a regular AE course or as in senior project design courses. For example, during the last five years, visits were made to: Jordan Aircraft Maintenance Company (JorAMCo), Jordan Air Motive Ltd Company (JALCO), Jordan Design and Development Bureau (JODDB), and the Jordanian Air Forces.