Language Center at Jordan University of Science & Technology
The Language center at JUST (LC@JUST) was launched at the beginning of the academic year 2013/2014 to smooth the progress of enhancing capabilities in teaching and learning languages inside the university campus. The center helps non-native speakers increase their language skills for study, work, or everyday life. The LC@JUST offers classes that integrate speaking, listening, reading and writing at all levels, from beginner to advanced. Most importantly the center offers the opportunity to learn Arabic language in its native environment and the possibility to learn more about Arabic culture, life-style and customs. Since the early start of its commencement, the center has been trying to attract teachers and learners interested in Arabic language from non-Arabic countries in an attempt to bridge cultural and societal differences amongst communities of Jordan, Arab Muslim countries, and overseas. Inspired by the university vision and mission, the center espouses the idea of scientific, cultural, and societal exchange among JUST students and faculty members and other universities around the world.
Pioneering and excellence in promoting cross-cultural understanding among the people of the world through achieving linguistic proficiency.
Serving human civilization by providing learners with a first-hand experience in exploring different cultural contexts and tools to communicate effectively and value diversity, through high quality language education, personal and professional growth, language skills development, and cultural outreach programs.
- Teach different foreign languages spoken in countries having various ties with Jordan.
- Teach Arabic to non-native speakers of Arabic.
- Design study plans for Arabic and foreign language courses taught at the Center.
- Design and conduct placement tests for the Arabic and foreign languages taught at the Center.
- Offer English Language workshops to JUST employees.
- Establish contacts with different foreign representatives suited in Jordan to exchange expertise related to center mission.
- Provide training and workshops for teachers of foreign languages and teachers of Arabic to non-native speakers.
- Cultivate global understanding and cooperation through the sharing of cultures and languages.
- Prepare students to IELST and TOFEL exams.
- Conduct tests
Tasks of the Center
Administering language level exams for all incoming JUST students.
Conducting language exams for nonnative speakers.
Supervising the conduct of international language tests such as TOFEL and IELTS.
Preparing the basic scientific teaching and learning language materials meant to be used for nonnative speakers at all language levels from beginner to advanced.
Performing specialized training, workshops, and seminars that serve the continuous development of JUST employees and local as well as international communities.
Offering diverse consultations and academic experience that complies with the center vision and mission.
Overseeing the language laboratory established to meet the center teaching needs.
Initiating for different cultural events and activities for students within the frame of an exact cultural exchange program.
Programs and activities overseen by the Center
English language professional enhancement program for writing, conversation, and grammar.
English language for special purposes workshop on journalistic writing and specialized translating meant for employees and local community.
Specialized workshop on preparing students for international language tests such as TOFEL and IELTS.
Specialized programs on teaching languages to non-native speakers.