Welcome to the Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS). MLS at Jordan University of Science and Technology is part of the Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences. The department is nationally accredited and well known for its cultural competency and its mix of students from various backgrounds and nationalities.
Department faculty members are PhD and MSc degree holders from highly respected world-leading universities. They are actively involved in teaching and scientific research. The MLS department is always seeking to excel academically and in the field of scientific research, and to assume active leadership in medical laboratory sciences on the national, regional, and international levels.
The Bachelors MLS program curriculum consists of 138 credit hours. The curriculum is designed to provide students with the most updated and relevant content in the field of biomedical sciences. It is periodically reviewed and updated to keep pace with world-leading MLS programs world-wide. It incorporates in-depth didactic (theoretical) sessions in conjunction with first-hand laboratory practice and demonstrations. Furthermore, students spend the second semester of their fourth year training in hospital laboratories which is designed to hone their skills, allows them to comprehensively apply the knowledge and skills gained during their studies, and work as part of a team following the rules and regulations of the training institution.
The department offers a Masters degree in MLS in either the Thesis or Comprehensive tracks. Students can specialize in one the following disciplines:
1. Clinical Microbiology, Immunology, and Serology.
2. Clinical Biochemistry.
3. Diagnostic Molecular Biology and Human Genetics.
4. Hematology and Blood Banking.
The Masters program curriculum consists of 34 credit hours. It is designed to provide students with in-depth updated knowledge in the respective fields, enhance students’ critical thinking and problem solving abilities, introduce them to scientific research, and provide them the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge in designing and conducting scientific research studies.
Graduates holding a Medical Laboratory Sciences degree have the following job opportunities:
1. Private and government diagnostic laboratories.
2. Research laboratories at universities and various medical research institutions.
3. Teaching at educational institutions (e.g., private and government universities, collages, and schools, etc.)
4. Biomedical supplies companies.5. In addition to the aforementioned above, holders of a Masters degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences can take-on leadership and administrative roles in diagnostic and research laboratories