Ever since its establishment, JUST has given its utmost priority to academic research. In this vein, the Deanship of Research commenced its activities at the early stages of the University establishment during the academic year 1986/1987.
Jordan University of Science & Technology comprises distinguished and highly qualified staff members in diverse fields of knowledge and integral specialties who have good initiative in research as well as determination and high aspirations to participate in shaping the future of science and technology in Jordan on the level of an advanced nation. Therefore, research, basic and applied, is amongst the principal priorities of our University.
The Dean of Research is the chairman of The Research Committee, which is the administrative body comprised of 7 members representing various university faculties. Research proposals are received from subcommittees formed by departments and faculties. The committee gives the final approval for funding research projects from an annual budget allocation for research. Any research on humans should be approved by the Institutional Research Board (IRB) and any research on animals should be approved by the university Animal Care and Use Committee (ACUC) before being funded.
Aims of the Deanship of Research
- Enhancing the university national reputation as a leading research Institute and to establish a higher international profile for its research activities.
- Driving and sustaining an active research culture that fosters high achievements.
- Increasing the research activities to meet the society requirements of applied research.
Functions of the Deanship of Research
- Supervision of research at the University from the point of view of planning, continuation, and stimulation.
- Orientation of research towards useful adaptations including Jordan national priorities.
- Concentration of research on issues faced by different sectors of the country.
- Attraction of foreign support for research projects undertaken by staff members.
- Building relations of cooperation and exchange of expertise with research institutions and centers national (local) and abroad.
- The patenting of inventions and their registration in order to protect the rights of the University and researchers.
- Funding of students of Graduate Studies involved in projects, research or employment therein, undertaken by staff members.
- Funding of publication of research by staff members as well as expenses incurred through participation in conferences and scientific debates at which their research is presented.
- The optimum use of available resources regarding services and facilities and their distribution among researchers.
- Follow-up of research projects and approval of expenditure.
- Regulate and control external financial support for research projects from local or international sources.
- Publishing the Jordan Journal of Civil Engineering; JJCE.
Allocations to Research
- A yearly budget allocated to research from within the University budget to cover all staff members research requirements.
- External funding from public and private sectors.
- Donations and contributions of foundations, companies, and individuals.
- Funds from international collaborative institutions.